Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Most frequent questions and answers


Preparation of composing applications for study abroad starts from 7 months before you come to Japan. We strongly recommend you that start the preparation as fast as you can. Please also check on “Admission”>“Long-Term Study Abroad Courses”.

Tokyo Regional Immigration Services Bureau only accepts documents written in Japanese. If you prepare documents in English, we are able to translate it to Japanese. Please submit application documents in Japanese or English.

Please fill up columns of applicant and expense supporter in person, then sign their names in full. If you need to revise the document, please write double lines on the point that you want to correct and write small your signature on it.

Please explain the reason by a written statement of reasons. The format is optional.

It is case by case. If Tokyo Regional Immigration Services Bureau requires submitting it, you need to post the original graduation certificate with a dust cover which is printed the name of the issued educational association. After the examination by the immigration office, the certificate returns to you.

If you enroll to UJS as study abroad student, you are required to prove your 150 hours of Japanese study history.

Financial sponsor (Guarantor) fills up and sign it.

Basically, applicants of parents can be a financial sponsor. Also, relatives and family including brothers, sisters, uncles and aunts possibly able to be a financial sponsor. If the financial sponsor is not blood relations such as a friend and acquittance, you are required to explain it reason.

In the case of the sponsor is not dependents, both amounts of savings and annual incomes have to be above 3,000,000 yen. However, there are many conditions. Please inquiry to us.

ding with the UJS refund policy.

  1. “Application Fee” which was paid at the time of application is non-refundable.
  2. Returning fees on your cancellation to enter UJS after issued “Certificate of Eligibility” by Tokyo Regional Immigration Services Bureau, including Full-Tuition Fee, Student Administration Fees, JLPT Examination Fee and International Student Health Insurance Fee are refundable.


For study abroad students, there are four entrance periods such as April, July, October and January.If your visa status is excepting study abroad visa, you can attend to UJS anytime you want. However, people who never studied Japanese before, we recommend you to start from entrance periods.

Yes, you can.
We have a short-term course.
The short-term course finishes for 3 months. After you finished the semester you can continue to study at a higher level of classes.

It depends on applicants. Please ask UJS or the immigration office.

Yes, you can. Please follow the steps below.

  1. Send an application form, copy of passport and ID photo.
  2. UJS issues the invoice. Please pay the tuition fee by a bank transfer or Flywire.
  3. UJS posts an admission letter. Please show it to the immigration officer in the airport.
  4. If you are required to a visa, please acquire the visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate.

To apply the study abroad visa, applicants are required an academic background which is above a high school graduate.
UJS has accepted from 12 years old to 60 years old. Regardless of the age and status of residence, you can find the most suitable class which matches your Japanese proficiency.

UJS issues an invoice. Please transfer the tuition fee by an overseas remittance or Flywire. Flywire is cheaper than an overseas remittance. If you pay the tuition fee in Japan, please pay by cash or bank transfer.

Please come to Japan before the day of orientation. After you purchased the flight ticket, please send a copy of E-ticket to UJS.

Please come to Japan before the day of orientation. After you purchased the flight ticket, please send a copy of E-ticket to UJS.


School capacity is 320 students.

Yes. You can talk in English, Mandarin and Vietnamese or Japanese.

Yes. Our teachers are well experienced in Japanese language education. Most of the teachers in UJS have experienced study abroad and working abroad. So, we can coach and support in terms of study and daily life.

We have accepted students from 44 countries and areas. Our students come from China, Vietnam, South Korea, Russia, Mongolia, Italy, Nepal, Uzbekistan, Australia, U.S., India and Bangladesh.

No. instead of that we have scholarship system. Also, UJS is “Designated Stores”.

You can receive concessions in Toei Subway such as Oedo Line, Asakusa Line, Shinjuku Line and Mita Line and Toei Bus. PASMO commuter pass is the most useful. PASUMO Card is a single chargeable IC card which allows repeatably use. It can use in not only public transportation including a train, subway and bus in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama and more but also many retailers.

Yes. You can connect school WI-FI at School lobby.


10 – 20 students in a class.

We use direct method which teaches everything in Japanese.

You will take a placement test on the first day of UJS. You will be evaluated your reading, writing, speaking and listening abilities. The results will determine what class you will be placed in.

Morning classes are 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM. Afternoon classes are 13:20 PM – 16:50 PM.
Your class is determined by your Japanese proficiency. So, you may not able to study at a preferred time.

For people who plan to study at UJS with a student visa are required to finish 150 hours of Japanese study before you apply for the visa. Except for international students, they can join the class from zero levels of Japanese. But, they are required to complete homework before the first day of class.

It depends on your goal. If you just wish speaking simple daily life level in Japanese, 6 months would be enough. But, if you desire to improve your Japanese proficiency to the academic or business level, you need to study a year to 2 years in  general.

Our syllabus is designed to improve and develop your listening, reading, writing and speaking abilities of Japanese.

Yes. UJS provides a daily small test and homework. Also, the final examination is conducted at the end of the semester.

No. But, JLPT exam preparation is included in our courses.

Yes. Study abroad students who satisfactorily complete their course will receive a UJS graduation certificate. Short-term graduates who complete course will receive a completion certificate. The graduation certificate is not allowed to issue multiple times.

No. We have daily full-time classes from 9 AM – 12:30 PM and 1:20 PM – 4:50 PM. Private lessons are also available.

School Life

Living costs include food expenses, rent fees, utility bills, transportation fees, communication fees and daily necessities. It will be around 70,000 yen to 100,00 yen per month.

Student visa holders can have a part-time job. When you arrived at the airport, please obtain “Permission for a part-time job”. The permission has some limitations such as 28 hours/week of work limit and industry and occupation restrictions. Also, you are required to open your bank account. School provides part-time job information. Please ask the office staffs. Note: Short-term residence is not allowed to have any occupations.

Study abroad students can have a mobile phone contract with “Residence Card” and “Bank Account”.Visitor visa holders can have a prepaid mobile phone.

Most Japanese financial institutions do not allow foreigners to open a bank account until 6 months past from entering to country. However, Japan Post Bank allows having a bank account immediately after entering Japan on online.

Yes. Some hospitals can arrange an interpreter. Please find out more information on Medical Information Service which is called “HIMAWARI” running by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.


Yes. We have affiliated dormitories and share houses. Students share the house with 2 – 3 roommates. The length of the contract is 3 months in general. UJS can also introduce monthly / weekly apartments around UJS.

Go on to the next stage of education

Please decide on a study area that you want to study before you come to Japan. After you enroll to UJS, please prepare for EJU (Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students) and JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test). Most Japanese universities set minimum score requirements of EJU and JLPT for applying entry examinations for the universities. Which means applicants are not allowed to apply entry examinations unless they have enough scores in EJU and JLPT. Also, your grades and attendance rate of UJS is significantly important. UJS supports preparations of these examinations by many ways. Please inquiry us.


It depends on the students’ academic background. Bachelor degrees holders are allowed to work with Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services visa.  However, there are many regulations and requirements for applying for the visa. UJS supports your job hunting as a career consultant.